Wednesday, April 26, 2017

How to Swim Butterfly


I happen to do a lot of competitive swimming. I practice 6 days a week, 2-4 hours a day. As one might expect, swimming butterfly might be pretty important. I learned a lot about how I could improve my stroke from this video, and make it so I do not die every time we have a "Fly" day.

The first thing that I learned applies to the kick of the Butterfly stroke.

If you notice, the swimmer uses a relatively straight leg while kicking and keeps his legs low in the water. When I swim, I do the exact opposite, bent legs and and high in the water. I do this in order to keep my body flat which reduces the amount of energy used. However, for a race, this is not appropriate, as my style is slightly slower because not as much power is used. Straight legs allow you to use your kick in order to support your body and throw yourself out of the water.

The next thing that I learned applies to the pull of the Butterfly stroke.

If you look carefully, you notice that the swimmer uses a bent wrist, and pushes down with his forearm in order to move in the water. This is efficient because not only does this push the water away and off your body, it propels you through the water. I pull inward and with a straight wrist until I meet the middle of my stomach. This is not efficient because my face slightly bends upwards which makes me sink, and lets the water push against my face which can take .4 to 1 second off my time. This is a lot in swimming.

The final thing I learned applies to the recovery and breathing method in butterfly

The first thing applies to the direction the swimmers hands are facing when the come out of the water. The face downwards as so to begin the pull phase as soon as they hit the water. My hands are straight, and swing out ward, which uses more energy and makes it harder to swim. The second thing applies to the head position the swimmer uses when he is breathing. If you look closely, you can see that his head does not move or turn as it comes out of the water. My head perks up which slows down my speed as the water pushes against my face as I reenter the water.


1 comment:

  1. Hey Kid,

    First, I didn't know that you spent so much time in the pool! Super cool to know that about you -- and super proud of your skill. I am a TERRIBLE swimmer. I can keep myself alive in the pool with a sidestroke and a back stroke, but make me swim more than once across the pool or expect me to move fast and you are going to be disappointed!

    Ask me sometime about my time in lifeguard training. It'll make you laugh.

    Second, this is an AWESOME example of a digital portfolio post. I love how thoughtful you were about what you were seeing in the video and what you were learning from it. I also love how you applied it to yourself and ways that you can improve your own work based on what you have seen.

    This is exactly what a "digital portfolio" is all about. You got it right and I'm proud of you!

    Write more posts like this and you will be the winner of a thousand chicken dinners!

    Mr. F

    ReplyDelete